Early in my career I spent many days on the road. To make it interesting I searched for the perfect burger at every little road house I could find. I never found it. Thanks to a rusty old sign hanging atop an abandoned general store championing their smothered burger, I realized it was not the burger that I was looking for it was the technique. Thus was born the road burger, my own recipe, its simple, hearty and absolutely perfect. Please use a ground beef, not ground chuck, you will need the fat. Probably not for heart conscious eater, but makes a great splurge meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Form a hamburger patty as normal and began frying as normal, do not add salt or pepper to the meat.
- 2While the patty is frying, peel the russet potato and grate.
- 3With your hand gather up the grated potato and squeeze as much liquid out as humanly possible.
- 4Salt and pepper grated potato to taste while still raw.
- 5When the hamburger patty is fully cooked flip over (do not drain fat) and quickly place one slice of cheese on top of patty and half of the grated potatoes.
- 6Flip patty with cheese and grated potato back over to the frying surface.
- 7It takes practice, any lose potato should be scraped back against the side of the patty.
- 8Again quickly add the other slice of cheese and remainder of grated potato to the new side of the patty.
- 9Scrape any lose potato against the side of the patty.
- 10Allow the potatoes underneath the first side to cook to desired doneness, they are perfect when the cheese almost melts through the potatoes.
- 11Flip patty once more, scraping any loose potato back to the burger tightly.
- 12Cook this side to desired doneness, again its perfect when the potatoes are not over cooked.
- 13The burger should now be completely encased with the potato and cheese.
- 14Remove and place on warm plate and high shake salt over the burger and plate for sopping.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Road Burger
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.3
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 181.4 mg
- Sodium 573.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 54.8 g