Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
Saw this made on The Cooking Channel's show Eat St. The recipe is from the Bacon Mania Truck and I knew I had to try it the minute I saw it. Bacon is my kryptonite! The unusual part of this recipe is that the bacon wrapped dog is deep fried. I'm sure I'll have to eat a week's worth of fruit and veggies to make up for this one recipe, but it's worth it! After making the recipe myself, I have tweaked the recipe to better suit my preferred method of preparation and my family's taste.
- 18 slice hickory smoked bacon
- 3 jalapenos, sliced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 3 small onions, sliced (yellow or sweet onion recommended)
- 9.85 ml sugar (optional)
- 12 slice center-cut bacon (Applewood smoked recommended)
- 6 frankfurters
- 14.79-29.58 ml margarine (or butter)
- 6 hot dog buns (gourmet seeded bun recommended)
Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- 177.44 ml sour cream (can substitute mayonnaise or plain yogurt)
- 14.78 ml dried chipotle powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 limes, Juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the hickory smoked bacon and fry in a large skillet until lightly crisp. Remove bacon bits to paper towels and set aside. Reserve about 1 Tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- In the same skillet, over medium (or lower) heat, add the jalapeno slices and saute until soft and dark, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In another large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, stir to coat, and saute until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sugar and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. If the onions begin to burn, reduce heat and add a Tablespoon of water.
- While the onions are caramelizing, make the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients and mixing well.
- Spiral 2 slices of the uncooked bacon around the entire length of each hot dog, until it's completely covered. Secure with toothpicks.
- Heat a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. and fry the hot dogs until the bacon is cooked, about 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. (Note: I found that frying one at a time was all my deep fryer could handle without boiling over. But they cooked very quickly so it wasn't an inconvenience.).
- While the hot dogs are cooking, spread the inside of each bun with a little margarine or butter and put on a cookie sheet. Broil in oven for 2-3 minutes, or until just lightly browned and toasted.
- To Serve: Spread some Spicy Chipotle Sauce on the bun. Add some jalapenos, a hot dog, and some caramelized onions. Squeeze on some more sauce and top with a sprinkle of the reserved bacon bits.