1/4 Photos of The Rico - Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog
Saw this made on The Cooking Channel's show Eat St. The recipe is from the Bacon Mania Truck and I knew I had to try it the minute I saw it. Bacon is my kryptonite! The unusual part of this recipe is that the bacon wrapped dog is deep fried. I'm sure I'll have to eat a week's worth of fruit and veggies to make up for this one recipe, but it's worth it! After making the recipe myself, I have tweaked the recipe to better suit my preferred method of preparation and my family's taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 3 jalapenos, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 small onions, sliced (yellow or sweet onion recommended)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 12 slices center-cut bacon (Applewood smoked recommended)
- 6 frankfurters
- 1 -2 tablespoon margarine (or butter)
- 6 hot dog buns (gourmet seeded bun recommended)
Spicy Chipotle Sauce
- 1Dice the hickory smoked bacon and fry in a large skillet until lightly crisp. Remove bacon bits to paper towels and set aside. Reserve about 1 Tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- 2In the same skillet, over medium (or lower) heat, add the jalapeno slices and saute until soft and dark, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3In another large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, stir to coat, and saute until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sugar and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. If the onions begin to burn, reduce heat and add a Tablespoon of water.
- 4While the onions are caramelizing, make the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients and mixing well.
- 5Spiral 2 slices of the uncooked bacon around the entire length of each hot dog, until it's completely covered. Secure with toothpicks.
- 6Heat a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F. and fry the hot dogs until the bacon is cooked, about 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. (Note: I found that frying one at a time was all my deep fryer could handle without boiling over. But they cooked very quickly so it wasn't an inconvenience.).
- 7While the hot dogs are cooking, spread the inside of each bun with a little margarine or butter and put on a cookie sheet. Broil in oven for 2-3 minutes, or until just lightly browned and toasted.
- 8To Serve: Spread some Spicy Chipotle Sauce on the bun. Add some jalapenos, a hot dog, and some caramelized onions. Squeeze on some more sauce and top with a sprinkle of the reserved bacon bits.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Rico - Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.1
- Calories from Fat 473
- Total Fat 52.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 1592.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory smoked bacon