Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
Spaghetti with almost no carbs! It's like magic! If you haven't tried spaghetti squash yet, you should. It's really a great replacement when you're craving spaghetti but can't have it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced fine
- 1 spaghetti squash, 2-2 1/2 lbs, scraped and ready to use (see How to Cook a Spaghetti Squash)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in skillet and cook onion and garlic until soft and fragrant, 6 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place scraped squash in bowl, add onions and garlic, basil, salt and pepper and toss well.
- Place mixture in buttered 1 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes until JUST starting to brown.
- Serve immediately.
Modifications: 1. Crockpot Onions 2. Pecorino Romano 3. Bulgarian Yoghurt (I used White Mountain) Everything else is the same. Instead of using the microwave (cancer, anyone?) I cut it in half and roasted it cut side down on a cookie sheet with parchment paper for 40 minutes at 400°. After preparing the filling as directed, I filled the shells back up and baked them following the suggested time and temp. Not moving them from the center rack, I then broiled them for 5 minutes. So delicious! This is going in my special recipe box.
I've made this recipe a few times when I didn't have Thyme to add. The third time I added it (and only half of what was called for) and in my opinion the Thyme ruined it. It's too powerful. So much better without it.
Love the way all the flavors play together with out one or the other dominating. Also love that it was not drowning in spaghetti sauce. Made as written using the 2 (large) garlic option. Will defiantly be making again. Thanks for the post.