Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of my favorite recipes for potatoes au gratin. I make this is an enameled cast iron casserole so I can make the sauce and bake the potatoes all in the same pan. If you don't have one of those, just make the sauce, stir in the potatoes and then pour the mixture into a buttered 2 or 3 qt. casserole dish.
- Heat oven to 350*.
- In casserole, melt 1/4 cup butter, stir in flour, salt and minced garlic.
- Add milk and cook until mixture boils and thickens, whisking constantly.
- Stir in cheeses until sauce is smooth.
- Add potatoes,stir until thoroughly combined.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted 1 tablespoons butter and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered 1 1/2 to 2 hours until bubbly on top.
Ohhhhhhh, once I serve this to DH, he will be melting at my feet. Sounds like a recipe for blackmail to me. Brutally good. Made for PRMR.
My husband and I loved these potatoes! I would add a little more garlic next time (just because we LOVE garlic). My only issue was the clean up of the pan! It took forever to clean my dutch oven! But, as far as the recipe goes, it was absolutely delicious!!!