Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This is one of my favorite recipes for potatoes au gratin. I make this is an enameled cast iron casserole so I can make the sauce and bake the potatoes all in the same pan. If you don't have one of those, just make the sauce, stir in the potatoes and then pour the mixture into a buttered 2 or 3 qt. casserole dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese (or parmesan)
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced (5 or 6 large potatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*.
- In casserole, melt 1/4 cup butter, stir in flour, salt and minced garlic.
- Add milk and cook until mixture boils and thickens, whisking constantly.
- Stir in cheeses until sauce is smooth.
- Add potatoes,stir until thoroughly combined.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted 1 tablespoons butter and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered 1 1/2 to 2 hours until bubbly on top.