1/2 Photos of The Real Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Dough
6 hrs 30 mins
I have it on good authority that this is the real Deep Dish Pizza Dough that's used in Chicago. The real thing is nothing like bread, or even pizza, dough. It is a buttery, flaky crust that is achieved by: 1) Using corn oil (not butter) and 2) minimal mixing and kneading times. The pizza itself is built with cheese, toppings, and sauce, in that order. I suggest you use 6-in-1 tomatoes which are far superior to other tomato brands. Classico ground tomatoes are very similar. Contrary to popular opinion, cornmeal is not used by the pizzarias in Chicago.
My Private Note
10 or 1 ...
Units: US | Metric
For a 10 or 12 inch pizza
- 1Add yeast to a mixture of water and sugar and let stand until foamy, about 5-10 minutes.
- 2Add the rest of the ingredients and mix in stand mixer with paddle attachment for one minute, then knead with hook attachment for no more than two minutes. Dough will be a little sticky. If too sticky to handle, add a little more flour. If too dry, add a little water. Dough should be a little tacky but able to shape into a ball.
- 3Put dough in a buttered bowl, turn dough buttered side up, cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rise at room temperature for 6 hours.
- 4Punch down, then cover and let gluten relax for 10-15 minutes.
- 5Either roll out or press into and up sides of deep dish pizza pan or even a cast iron skillet. If you are making a 10-inch pizza, fit the dough into the pan at the thickness you like and trim off any excess.
- 6Add cheese, toppings, and tomatoes (that you've flavored with garlic, basil, oregano, etc.).
- 7Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, depending on your oven.
- 8You may want to prebake the crust, if you wish, for about 5-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Real Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Dough
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.0
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 439.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.0 g