Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This is IT. The real deal. Very time consuming, but WORTH IT. Delicious and decadent, this is a four-layer chocolate mousse cake.
- 1 (18 ounce) boxof ordinary cake mix (devil's food)
- 1 teaspoon knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 18 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- There are FOUR layers to make:.
- BOTTOM LAYER (cake):.
- Bake according to directions on box using 2 round pans, then cool. Once cooled, use the cake from one pan as one layer (you do not need the second cake from the second pan. In other words, you only need half the box cake recipe). Place this round cake at the bottom of a CHEESECAKE PAN. Press it with your fingers and flatten the cake a little. This is the bottom layer out of four layers.
- SECOND LAYER (the chocolate mousse):.
- Melt chocolate and cream cheese together. Let cool. Soften gelatin with cold water for 1 minute, then add boiling water, stir until dissolved and clear. Let this cool while you start whipping the heavy cream and sugar. As cream starts to thicken, add gelatin. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Add 1/4 of the cream to the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly. Then fold this into the remaining cream. Once you have it completed, spread this chocolate mousse onto the cake and refrigerate.
- THIRD LAYER (the custard):.
- Beat egg yolks until pale. Add sugar, flour, and gelatin, then beat until mixed. Bring cream and vanilla extract to a boil. Add a small amount of cream to egg mixture while stirring. Gradually add until all of the cream has been added and then pour entire mixture through a strainer into the pan. Continue to cook until custard begins to thicken. Cool slightly, then pour on top of the chocolate mousse layer and freeze while getting the fourth layer ready.
- FOURTH LAYER (the icing):.
- Please note: this makes a lot of icing so feel free to half this part of the recipe (I just happen to like a lot of icing on top). Bring butter and cream to a boil, pour over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let cool until it starts to thicken. Remove cake from freezer, remove the cheesecake pan collar, then pour some of the icing and use a spatula to spread it evenly across the top and sides of the cake. While this is still wet, put chocolate chips onto the side of the cake. Optional: Melt half a cup of white chocolate chips (in the microwave) and swirl into the icing if you want yours to look like the picture.
- Refrigerate the cake. Be sure to see the picture. Serve cold. Delicious!
- Enjoy! --Adrienne.
By the way, Olive Garden's Black Tie Mousse Cake is the best dessert I've ever eaten, hands down! I'm going to bring this to our company's Thanksgiving luncheon.
A "cheesecake pan" is actually called a "springform" pan, which is what you always make cheesecakes in and mine is 9" in diameter. Also, I always cover the OUTSIDE of my springform pan (bottom of the pan and a little bit up on the sides) with aluminum foil, so there is no leakage while baking.
Anyway, someone wrote that the recipe was hard to follow, and I think they may be referring to the "custard" layer (that's the only part where went "what?"). Anyway, see below what I added to the recipe in ALL CAPS so it makes more sense.
"Beat egg yolks until pale. Add sugar, flour, and gelatin, then beat until mixed. Bring cream and vanilla extract to a boil. Add a small amount of cream to egg mixture while stirring. Gradually add ALL OF THE CREAM AND VANILLA EXTRACT MIXTURE TO THE EGG MIXTURE until all of the cream has been added and then pour entire mixture through a strainer into the pan ON THE STOVE THAT CONTAINS THE CREAM AND VANILLA MIXTURE. THEN, continue to cook until custard begins to thicken. Cool slightly, then pour on top of the chocolate mousse layer and freeze while getting the fourth layer ready.
I hope this helps!
The best dessert recipe I've tasted. Time consuming, but easy. The second time I made it, I doubled the cream cheese and chocolate chips for the second layer and it made it more like a cheesecake layer. Yum!
The steps are easy. Had no problem at all figuring everything out, for an intermediate leveled recipe. Everyone raved! Amazing chocolate cake!