Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from a co-worker. My girlfriend Kara and I make tons of this every year for Christmas and we package them up as gifts! People rave about them!!
- 1 lb butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole almonds
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts (chopped)
- Melt butter in large/ deep pan slowly on low heat - do not rush this
- While butter is melting, measure all ingredients
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave (one minute at a time and stir).
- Once butter is fully melted, add sugar and cook on high for 4-5 minutes until mixture absorbs all butter (should have a consistency of marshmallow).
- Cook on low heat 4-5 minutes (should have a consistency of maple cream of wheat).
- Add whole almonds.
- Cook on med-high heat 4-5 minutes - mixture will begin to brown.
- Remove from heat 2 minutes (almonds may make a popping noise).
- Cook on low 4-5 minutes (should have a creamy peanut butter consistency).
- Pour on cookie sheet and spread (a cold, metal spoon helps).
- Spread chocolate on top and add crushed walnuts.
- Let cool, cut in squares with a large knife - may require extra force with your palm on the dull side of the blade and enjoy!
- NOTES: Constant stirring is required for the entire process. With an electric stove, you should keep 1 burner on low so that you can go back and forth to it.