Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Radicchio, red leaf lettuce, radishes, red onion rings, red pimento stuffed olives and red sweet peppers make a nice salad ring on a platter. This is a meatless salad but option for other ingredients listed.
- 1 head radicchio, chopped
- 709.77-946.36 ml red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 red onion, sliced in rings
- 1 sweet red peppers, cored, seeded, diced or 1 red pepper, cut into thin rings
- 10 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 10-15 red pimento stuffed olives
- 354.88 ml monterey jack pepper cheese, small cubes
- 118.29 ml beet, cooked and julienne cut (optional)
- 118.29 ml minced cooked bacon (optional)
- 118.29 ml red-hot candies
- 78.07 ml water
- 14.79 ml honey
- 118.29 ml evaporated milk
- 2.46 ml sweet basil
- 3 (3 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute or 4.92 ml white sugar
- 9.85 ml white vinegar
- 14.79 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place radicchio in the center of the platter.
- Ring with the red leaf lettuce.
- Place the red onion rings on top of red leaf lettuce.
- Then place red sweet pepper rings on the edge of the platter or if diced sprinkled on top of the red onion rings.
- Place sliced radishes, ringing the edge of the radicchio that is in the center.
- Place the other sliced radishes scattered on the outer ring of salad.
- Sprinkle the red pimento stuffed green olives at will on the salad.
- Place the pepper jack cheese in a separate small bowl to be passed as the salad is dished.(Pepper Jack Cheese has hot red pepper in it).
- You can serve the optional ingredients in separate bowls to be passed also if desired.
- In medium saucepan, add red hots or any hot red candies and water on low to medium heat. Stir until dissolved.
- Add honey and stir until dissolved.
- Set off heat. Add evaporated milk, sweet basil, Splenda or white sugar. Whisk. Set aside.
- Add oil and vinegar in a separate bowl. Whisk.
- Note: You may use a few shakes of rice vinegar instead of white vinegar.
- Right before serving combine the two mixtures to make the dressing.
- Refrigerate dressing if made ahead, shake before serving.
- This salad can be made ahead, covered and chilled before serving.