Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Rainbow is a local home cooking restaurant in North Carolina. I really love their very simple potato salad, and the waitress let me know the ingredients. I tested it out a few times to get it just right. I am giving approximate measures, because I truthfully measure this recipe "by feel" and "to taste" so please adjust the dressing amounts to your taste buds. Prep time does not include chilling time, so plan ahead, as this needs several hours of chilling before serving.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, to taste
- water, to cover
- 1 cup mayonnaise, must be full fat (Duke's brand)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard, to taste
- coarse salt, to taste
- coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 carrot, peeled, very finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, minced, to taste
- Place rinse potatoes into a large stockpot and cover with enough cold water to cover them about an inch.
- Add about 1 Tbsp coarse sea salt and bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook until fork tender, maybe 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse and let cool to room temperature, then cover and chill.
- Once potatoes are nice and cool, peel skins if desired (the Rainbow removes the skins, I like them on),dice them into small chunks and place in a large bowl.
- Add very, very finely chopped carrots, onions, and green peppers.
- Add a few grinds of salt and pepper to your your liking, as much or as little as you prefer.
- Squirt in about 1 Tbsp of mustard, about 1 cup or so mayo (start with a cup, add more if it needs more), and a splash of vinegar.
- If you like lots of mayo, you will likely need more of all the seasonings too, so please adjust this the way you like it.
- Stir gently to coat and chill overnight or at least several hours.
- Taste again before serving, adding more dressing ingredients if needed.
Simple and very, very good. I omitted the green pepper as I didn't have any, but the salad was still just the way I like it.