1/1 Photo of The Rainbow's Potato Salad
The Rainbow is a local home cooking restaurant in North Carolina. I really love their very simple potato salad, and the waitress let me know the ingredients. I tested it out a few times to get it just right. I am giving approximate measures, because I truthfully measure this recipe "by feel" and "to taste" so please adjust the dressing amounts to your taste buds. Prep time does not include chilling time, so plan ahead, as this needs several hours of chilling before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, to taste
- water, to cover
- 1 cup mayonnaise, must be full fat (Duke's brand)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard, to taste
- coarse salt, to taste
- coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 carrot, peeled, very finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, minced, to taste
- 1Place rinse potatoes into a large stockpot and cover with enough cold water to cover them about an inch.
- 2Add about 1 Tbsp coarse sea salt and bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook until fork tender, maybe 10-15 minutes.
- 3Drain and rinse and let cool to room temperature, then cover and chill.
- 4Once potatoes are nice and cool, peel skins if desired (the Rainbow removes the skins, I like them on),dice them into small chunks and place in a large bowl.
- 5Add very, very finely chopped carrots, onions, and green peppers.
- 6Add a few grinds of salt and pepper to your your liking, as much or as little as you prefer.
- 7Squirt in about 1 Tbsp of mustard, about 1 cup or so mayo (start with a cup, add more if it needs more), and a splash of vinegar.
- 8If you like lots of mayo, you will likely need more of all the seasonings too, so please adjust this the way you like it.
- 9Stir gently to coat and chill overnight or at least several hours.
- 10Taste again before serving, adding more dressing ingredients if needed.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Rainbow's Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.0
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 893.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g