Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
How can you beat this?? All the perfect ingredients are between two slices of lightly toasted bread...the juicy height-of-summer red tomatoes, the crunchy green lettuce leaves, the creamy mayo binding it all together, and, best of all, the incomparable meaty, smoky, salty-sweet flavor of the bacon. It doesn't get get better than this!!!!
Top Review by I'mPat
There is something to be said to return to the original recipe the classic BLT though I don't object in turning it into a BELT with the addition of an egg but as the original it is tasty and full of wonderful flavours though for dietary reasons I used a wholemeal/wholegrain bread and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch, thank you Alan in SW Florida, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann's is the best, and NOT the low-fat kind)
- 12 slices good-quality bacon
- 8 slices good-quality white bread, lightly toasted
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- crisp lettuce leaf (Romaine or Iceberg)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix the chives (or scallions) with the mayonnaise.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, keeping the slices separate as they cook, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from pan with tongs and place on a paper-towel covered plate to drain.
- Spread one side of all slices of the toast with the mayonnaise. Layer 4 slices of the toast with tomatoes and bacon and grind black pepper over the top, add a lettuce leaf, close the sandwiches with remaining slices of toast, cut in half diagonally, and serve.