Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The Purple Pig is a famous highly rated restaurant in Chicago. One of which is famous for its delicious foods and delightful wines. This is restaurant style so it makes quite a bit....
- pork shoulder, bone removed and cut into 8 oz. pieces
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and kept in large pieces
- 2 gallons milk
- 2 gallons pork stock
- 1 rib celery, cut into 3 large pieces
- 1 1⁄4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup warm cream
- 4 teaspoons butter, warm
- salt and pepper
- Tie a piece of string around each piece of pork to maintain a nice shape while cooking. In a large pot sear off pork shoulder (season liberally first). Add vegetables and herbs after meat is browned, add liquids and bring to a boil. Season and place in a 350° oven to braise. Should take 2-3 hours.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, add cold water to cover and season aggressively with salt. Bring to a boil and cook till potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes, mash while still hot with rest of the ingredients, season and reserve.