Recipe by groovyrooby
I concocted this handy appetizer by combining ideas from a couple different recipes. The end result was so terrific that my friends (vegetarians and non) were recommending my own dish to me, unbeknownst to them! The tofu soaks up the chili and lime flavors, the veggies stay crunchy and tangy, and the lettuce wraps hold everything in a convenient, portable little package! Chili paste is easily found at an Asian market and it's well worth the hunt. If you can't get your hands on any, substitute with red chili flakes.
Top Review by 857484
This was killer! We added sliced baby corn and water chestnuts to the veggie mix, stir-frying them with the broccoli and green onion. I also reduced the remaining marinade (there was quite a bit - I don't think my tofu got squeezed enough) and served it on the side. Thanks!
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, finely grated
- 1 lime, juice of, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste, such as sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces broccoli coleslaw mix
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cucumber, diced
- 2 heads green leaf lettuce or 2 heads romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove tofu from the package, draining any water, and press the tofu for about 20 minutes. I usually fold up three paper towels, place tofu on the towels, fold up three more paper towels, place them on top of the tofu, and put something flat and heavy on top. A partially-filled teapot on top of a frying pan works well for me.
- Discard the paper towels and cut the tofu into 24 little rectangles: cut the flat block in half shortways, cut each half shortways and longways, and slice each chunk into thin thirds. Whatever shape you like works, but it's good to maximize surface area.
- Mix all the ingredients from soy sauce to chili paste (and half the lime juice) in a watertight container or heavy-duty ziplock bag.
- Add the tofu chunks and marinate overnight.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Broil one side for about three minutes, flip and broil for another three minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok or to medium-high in a skillet.
- Add broccoli slaw and green onions. When warmed, after about a minute, add the rice vinegar. Cook, stirring, for about four minutes. Keep the veggies nice & crunchy.
- Remove the broccoli-onion mix and let cool slightly.
- Add cucumber, remainining lime juice, and tofu strips. Mix gently to keep the tofu intact.
- Serve veggie tofu mix in a large bowl with lettuce leaves in a separate bowl. Allow guests to spoon a little mix into their lettuce leaves to roll up right before eating. For many little appetizers I suggest tearing big lettuce leaves in half down the middle, or keep lettuce leaves whole for bigger portions.