Recipe by Jezski
Years ago this was THE most popular and coveted recipe at the Polish church of my youth. The flavoring most used was a butter/vanilla/nut flavoring combination sold locally. The cherries and nuts were not cut fine; thus they formed a pretty pattern in a slice of cake. The cake is moist and flavorful with a lovely texture. Very important to start baking in a COLD OVEN!. And the baking time is LONG! No icing needed. Or wanted!
Top Review by ElaineAnn
Excellent holiday pound cake! I used almond extract and rum flavoring and love the cherry and pecan combo. Thanks for posting Jezski. This is my "from now on" favorite Christmas cake.
- 591.47 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml Crisco, and
- 236.59 ml margarine
- 709.77 ml flour
- 141.74 g can evaporated milk, and
- 85.04 g water (enough water to total 1 cup with the milk)
- 5 eggs
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml flavoring (of your choice)
- 236.59 ml chopped nuts (not too fine)
- 283.49 g jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream Crisco, margarine, sugar and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- Add flour and milk alternately, ending with flour.
- Add flavoring. Add nuts. Add cherries cut in half.
- Bake in greased and floured tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes (or longer) at 300 oven.
- START IN COLD OVEN. DO NOT OPEN DOOR WHILE BAKING.
- Remove from pan immediately. Do not ice.