1 hr 15 mins
Years ago this was THE most popular and coveted recipe at the Polish church of my youth. The flavoring most used was a butter/vanilla/nut flavoring combination sold locally. The cherries and nuts were not cut fine; thus they formed a pretty pattern in a slice of cake. The cake is moist and flavorful with a lovely texture. Very important to start baking in a COLD OVEN!. And the baking time is LONG! No icing needed. Or wanted!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco, and
- 1 cup margarine
- 3 cups flour
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk, and
- 3 ounces water (enough water to total 1 cup with the milk)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons flavoring (of your choice)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (not too fine)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1Cream Crisco, margarine, sugar and salt.
- 2Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- 3Add flour and milk alternately, ending with flour.
- 4Add flavoring. Add nuts. Add cherries cut in half.
- 5Bake in greased and floured tube pan or Bundt pan.
- 6Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes (or longer) at 300 oven.
- 7START IN COLD OVEN. DO NOT OPEN DOOR WHILE BAKING.
- 8Remove from pan immediately. Do not ice.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Polish Church Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.2
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 295.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 38.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: