Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Years ago this was THE most popular and coveted recipe at the Polish church of my youth. The flavoring most used was a butter/vanilla/nut flavoring combination sold locally. The cherries and nuts were not cut fine; thus they formed a pretty pattern in a slice of cake. The cake is moist and flavorful with a lovely texture. Very important to start baking in a COLD OVEN!. And the baking time is LONG! No icing needed. Or wanted!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, and
- 1 cup margarine
- 3 cups flour
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk, and
- 3 ounces water (enough water to total 1 cup with the milk)
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons flavoring (of your choice)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (not too fine)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- Cream Crisco, margarine, sugar and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- Add flour and milk alternately, ending with flour.
- Add flavoring. Add nuts. Add cherries cut in half.
- Bake in greased and floured tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes (or longer) at 300 oven.
- START IN COLD OVEN. DO NOT OPEN DOOR WHILE BAKING.
- Remove from pan immediately. Do not ice.