Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The canned goods make this rich chili so easy! Make sure you rinse the beans, corn, etc before you throw 'em in the pot. You can mix and match veggies and beans to suit your taste! This recipe serves about 5 or 6. The BBQ sauce and mustard are just little quirks I thought would taste good. This chili is better the next day as the flavors get together. It keeps for a few days and freezes beautifully. Melted cheese or sour cream on top rocks for you non-vegans out there.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (I think El Paso or Rotel makes these)
- 14 ounces black beans
- 14 ounces red kidney beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn (frozen corn works well too!)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 small cooking onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Open tomatoes and dump into crockpot ot soup pot.
- Rinse corn, beans, and mushrooms and dump in with tomatoes. start up crockpot or stove on low.
- Finely chop celery, green pepper, fresh chile. Saute in oil until slightly browned. Add to other ingredients in the pot.
- Simmer away for an hour or two on low.
- Remove from heat and serve with chips, cheese or sour cream. However, I think this tastes better if it's cooled in the fridge overnight and served the next day.
This is my favorite chili recipe. The mustard and BBQ sauce are excellent "secret ingredients!"