Recipe by Sherrybeth
Okay, I know this has a weird name, but we call my ex husband the Plumber and these are his FAVORITE pies and after we divorced, the nut had the nerve to call me and ask for the recipe. IF he finds it here, he can count himself lucky because neither I, my mom, my grandma or my kids would give him the recipe!!! This recipe has been around my family for over 20 years. It can easily be doubled to make 2 pies.
Top Review by ~*Miss Diggy*~
Sherrybeth, this is a pie recipe that I can completely understand the reasoning your ex would be trying to get his hands on! This was a fantastic pie, and it was worth the two times I made it! The first time it didnt set, and after 1 1/2 hours I decided that maybe it was just me and it was set, and so I finished out the recipe. The next day when I sliced into it, it was runny and soooo sugary. After a couple days I made it again after talking to you. This time I made it with 6 eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 1/3 cups milk. It turned out perfectly, with the exception of having to cook it for 1 full hour before it finally set. I think I will still reduce the sugar by 1/4 more of a cup, but it is terrific made with my second attempts changes! Thank you SO much for this recipe!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie shells
- 10 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks until fluffy.
- Slowly add sugar, milk, butter, vanilla flavoring and cornstarch.
- Stir in coconut by hand.
- Mix well and pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until center is set, but top is not too brown.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the 10 Tbsp sugar, and continue beating until meringue is stiff, but not "dry".
- Remove pie from oven and top with meringue; return to oven until meringue is slightly brown.
- Cool completely before serving and refrigerate any leftovers.