Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From The Pirate's House restaurant in Savannah, GA. http://www.thepirateshouse.com/index.htm I found this on the Internet and someone listed it as one of those things you must have before you "kick the bucket" so here it is! There is a note that the crust here is similar to the "true" recipe which uses almond meal that is available in specialty stores.
- 30 vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen lemonade, thawed
- 1 lemon, zest of, only, grated
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- For the crust, mix cookie crumbs, almonds and extract with butter (can use food processor).
- Press mixture into 9" pie plate.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes and cool on a rack.
- For the filling, beat egg yolks with a whisk. Add sweetened condensed milk, lemonade and lemon rind; whisk until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold whipped cream into lemon mixture; then fold this into the egg whites.
- Pour into pie crust and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving take pie out of freezer and let sit 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with twisted lemon slices, sweetened whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
This was really yummy,definatly a keeper thanks for sharing oolala