Recipe by JackieOhNo!
The Pink Tea Cup is a soul food restaurant that has been in Greenwich Village for more than five decades. I was sad to read recently that Greenwich Village is going to lose a little bit of its soul because the Pink Tea Cup has announced it is closing. Third-generation owner Lisa Ford said the eatery will close Jan. 3, 2010 because of a weak economy and rising costs. Ford began working at the restaurant after graduating from college 20 years ago. Her great-aunt, Florida native Mary Raye, opened The Pink Tea Cup in 1954. The restaurant, which seats 42 people, is painted pink inside and out, and is known for its fried chicken, smothered pork chops and catfish. Ford said business has been declining since the Sept. 11 attacks. One of their famous desserts is their Sweet Potato Pie. I had clipped the recipe for this delight some 25 years ago. I am now posting it here for posterity, since it won't be available to enjoy at the restaurant.
Top Review by smoobie
I originally saw this recipe in the New York Daily News and cut it out, figured let me try this. That was about 25 yrs ago and am still making it to this day. Best sweet potato pie there is. Try it, you won't be disappointed!!!!!
- 907.18 g yams, peeled and cut into chunks
- 118.29 ml butter
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml white sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml grated orange rind
- 118.29 ml evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and boil yams until mashable.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Add butter, spices, salt, and sugars to hot yams. Beat until light and smooth.
- Beat egg yolks until light and add to mixture. Stir in orange juice, rind, and milk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie puffs up and is firm in the middle.
- Cool on rack, and add whipped cream, if desired.