Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
A roast turkey recipe with a unique, albeit easy, cooking method. (Recipe courtesy of TESCO. Retreived from www.ivillage.co.uk)
- 1 (14 lb) whole turkey
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F Remove the giblets from the turkey. Rub oil on the outside of the bird and season well.
- Place the butter, lemon and whole herbs in the cavity. Cook the bird breast-side down for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350°F Cook for 3 1/2 hours, turning bird the right side up after 2 hours.
- Test the turkey with a skewer in the leg joint. If blood comes out, give it another 20 minutes. If clear juices run out, it's cooked. Remove from the pan, wrap in foil and rest for 20 minutes while you make your gravy.