1/1 Photo of The Perfect Roast Turkey
5 hrs 30 mins
We make two turkeys at Thanksgiving every year -- one smoked and one done this way. It makes the best gravy I have ever had! I never stuff my turkey so I can't vouch for how the stuffing tastes after roasting this way. It's a keeper at our house!! Cooking time depends on teh size of your turkey. Remember to thoroughly cook poultry -- use a meat thermometer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare desired stuffing.
- 2Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 3Remove neck and giblets from turkey.
- 4Rinse and drain; pat dry with paper towels.
- 5Loosely fill cavity with stuffing.
- 6Fold neck skin over back of turkey and fasten with toothpicks.
- 7Arrange veggies and herbs on bottom of a shallow roasting pan.
- 8Pour wine over.
- 9Place turkey, breast side up, on top of veggies.
- 10Brush skin with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 11Cover stuffing in cavity with foil.
- 12When skin is golden brown (2 to 2 1/2 hours), shield breast loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- 13Follow turkey package directions for cooking times.
- 14Start testing for doneness half an hour before end time with meat thermometer~ should reach 180 degrees.
- 15Transfer turkey to a serving platter.
- 16Cover loosely, let stand 20 minutes, then carve.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Perfect Roast Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 790.4
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 314.8 mg
- Sodium 751.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 93.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: