Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This chicken has sundried tomatoes,fresh rosemary and garlic under the skin. The skin will be crisp, sweet and dark. You can remove the skin, discard it or enjoy it!
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole chickens
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut in 1/2
- 2 marinated sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and place lemon halves inside. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Run your finger under the skin of the breast and thigh to loosen it and then place the sun dried tomatoes, garlic slices and rosemary between the meat and skin. Sprinkle the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar. Turn the chicken so that it is breast-side down on the rack and roast for 30 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350°F Turn the chicken so that it is breast-side up, sprinkle the breast with the remaining sugar and roast for another 30 to 40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 160°F Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes.
Really lovely roast chicken! Instructions were clear and perfect and that skin is delicious. I'd definately use more garlic next time as I didn't find the flavour permiated the meat as much as I'd expected. Thanks for posting Rita!
Can't agree more with the name - perfect roast indeed. I put in some extra sun-dried tomatoes because I had them. Very moist and flavourful.
Wonderful! The combination of sundried tomatoes and garlic is fabulous. I used about 2 tablespoons of rosemary cause it's what I pulled off the plant. The result was a very moist chicken that was nice and flavorful. Mine took a little longer than the time listed. Most importantly, don't forget to make stock with the carcass. Mine is simmering away and smells wonderful. Thanks, Rita!