I've worked at it and worked at it and 5 batches later, I think I've got it. It's the perfect salt water taffy flavored with kool-aid. It takes alot of work to get it to the right consistency so don't give up! And if it seems to hard when it cools down, as long as it's still pliable, it will work. If it cracks into pieces, you cooked it too long. Even 5 degrees can ruin the batch so keep an eye on it. Try again, or tell people you were going for painted glass candy all along. Also, most taffy recipes will tell you that you don't need to keep stirring after the mixture starts boiling. I ruined 3 batches before I found out it's safer just to keep stirring. Even a little bit of burnt taffy in the mix ruins the batch, and if you don't stir, it will burn to the bottom of the pan. **SIDE NOTE** I sited strawberry kool-aid in my recipe, but you can use any kind as long as it's unsweetened.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter the sides of a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or spray down with Pam.
- 2Add to the pan the first four ingredients.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 4Cook to 245 degrees (firm ball stage) while constantly stirring.
- 5Remove from heat and continue to stir until mixture stops boiling.
- 6Add margarine and koolaid mixture.
- 7Return to heat and continue to stir until mixture reaches 245 degrees again.
- 8Remove from heat but continue to stir until mixture stops boiling.
- 9Pour mixture into a greased 15 x 10 pan.
- 10Let cool.
- 11When completely cooled, cut into 1 inch strips.
- 12Butter fingers.
- 13Grab a strip and start pulling. Keep pulling. Strip will SLOWLY turn whiter. Use your own judgement as to what consistency you want your taffy.
- 14Wrap in waxed paper or foils.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Perfect Low-Sugar Kool-Aid Salt Water Taffy
Serving Size: 1 (10 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 24.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 52.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened strawberry Kool-Aid