Recipe by s'kat
From 'Luscious Lemon Desserts'. Easy and impressive looking. After prebaking crust, look for any cracks that the filling could seeep through. Make a paste with about 1 teaspoon of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of water, and smear it over the cracks with your fingers to seal it. This recipe uses aproximately 4 lemons.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 pinches salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Have ready an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon of the zest, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour in the butter mixture in a fine stream, stirring with a fork, and continue stirring until the dough begins to come together when a small bit is pressed between your fingers.
- Transfer the mixture to the tart pan and press it with your fingertips evenly up the side and into the bottom.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is light golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack while making the filling.
- Process the remaining 1 cup of granulated sugar and the remaining 1 Tablespoon of zest in a food processor until the zest is finely ground.
- Whisk together the eggs, the sugar and zest mixture, the lemon juice, and another pinchy of salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a medium bowl just until it forms soft peaks.
- Whisk the cream into the egg mixture until just blended.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven, place the crust on the baking sheet, and pour the filling into the still-warm crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is just set in the center.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack.
- Just before service, generously sift confectioners' sugar over the tart.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- Note: You may wish to use slightly less zest than called for, and taste the batter.
- My lemons were extremely powerful, and I only needed 1 1/2 Tablespoons total of zest.