Recipe by scrappyhare
Start Sunday off with the delectable dish that has made Alberto Hoyas, chef at Brooklyn's famous-for-their-brunch Red Rail, a wanted man. Clipped from Mademoiselle magazine.
Top Review by * Pamela *
I used this in my Wednesday night cooking class but quickly realized that the amount of liquid just made the bread soggy. Once I reduced it by about half it was much better. This was a great recipe to go with my 'around the world' theme.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together, beating until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Dip slices of thick white or challah bread in the mixture, coating both sides.
- Add a pat of butter in a pan and sear bread until the egg is just cooked and bread starts to brown; flip and repeat.
- Garnish with a few drops of melted butter and a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar and serve with fresh fruit or warm maple syrup.