Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from my grandparents, who got it from Good Housekeeping magazine. I have substituted some of the ingredients to match what I have in my kitchen (egg substitute for eggs, for example).
- 4 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups nonfat yogurt, plain
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spread in 9x9 metal baking pan; place in oven just until the spread melts, about 3 to 5 minutes; tilt the pan to coat.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In medium bowl, with fork, beat yogurt and eggs until blended.
- Add melted spread to the yogurt mixture, then add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture; stir just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden at edges and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes; serve warm.
I tried this using whole wheat flour and can't recommend it. 25 minutes was too long in my oven.
Absolutely delicious!I have made cornbread for over 40 yrs. But never used yogurt,and it taste a lot like when I make it with buttermilk.A great recipe,thanks for sharing it.