Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe comes from McCall's Cookbook and my mother made this cake for our family at Christmas time. She's had this recipe since 1982!! It's such a classic. It's wonderful for Christmas, but I think it's great anytime! : ) It's terrific for any special occasion and would make a fabulous Birthday cake for the chocolate lover. It's very chocolatey, but not overly sweet. The cake is made entirely from scratch, but it's really not that complicated. I made it last Christmas and it came out spectacular. NOTE: I have no idea what the exact preparation and cooking times are; it does not state it on the recipe. However, this is not something that can be done on spur of the moment. It's almost like artwork and cannot be rushed. : )
- 1 cup unsifted unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup regular margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In medium bowl, combine unsweetened cocoa with 2 cups boiling water, mixing with wire wisk until smooth.
- Cool completely.
- Sift flour with soda, salt and baking powder.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease well and lightly flour three 9-by-1 1/2-inch layer-cake pans.
- In large bowl, with an electric mixer at high speed, beat butter with sugar, eggs and vanilla, scraping bowl occasionally, until light and fluffy-about 5 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in the flour mixture (in fourths), alternately with the cocoa mixture (in thirds).
- Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Do not overbeat.
- Divide evenly into pans; smooth top with spatula.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Carefully loosen sides with spatula.
- Remove from pans; cool on racks.
- Make frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, cream butter; stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- With wisk, blend in 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar.
- Turn into bowl; place over ice set in a larger bowl.
- Beat until frosting holds shape.
- Make filling: Whip cream with sugar and vanilla.
- To assemble: On plate, place a layer, top side down; spread with half of cream.
- Place second layer, top side down; spread with rest of cream.
- Place third layer, top side up.
- To frost cake: With metal spatula, frost sides first, covering whipped cream; use rest of frosting on top, swirling decoratively.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- To cut, use a thin-edged sharp knife; slice with a sawing motion.