Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
After testing out a number of chili recipes, none were quite what I was looking for. I decided to come up with a chili of my own, and here it is. My whole family (including two fairly picky toddlers) just loves it! It's fairly quick and easy to make, and doesn't have a long long list of ingredients. If you're looking for a simple, straightforward and pretty darn delicious chili, this is definitely the recipe for you...
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (OR 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp cold water
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (I use Heinz)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add pepper and onion and saute until they soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add ground beef, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once beef is browned, add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and parsley. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, cocoa powder, vegetable broth, corn starch and chili sauce.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Add to chili and cook for about 20 minutes more.
- Serve with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.
- We recommend pairing this with Recipe Junkie's "Custard Corn Bread" #352762.