Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Since I don't eat red meat, I went on the quest to find an awesome chili recipe that uses chicken instead of ground beef. When I didn't really find anything that made my mouth water, I decided to make my own. Try it out for yourselves, hope you'll like it!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, Boneless & Skinless, Cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 yellow onions, Large Dice
- 2 red bell peppers, Large Dice
- 2 yellow bell peppers, Large Dice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, Thawed in Microwave
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole peeled plum tomatoes in puree (Undrained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced (1 Tablespoon)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, Divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, To Taste
- chopped scallion, Pickled Jalapenos, Shredded Cheddar-Jack Cheese, and Corn Chips
- In a large pot made for sauces, or a Dutch Oven, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Brown the chicken pieces until nicely colored and cooked through (about 7-8 minutes). Remove chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the rest of the butter and melt. Sauté the peppers and onions until the onions become translucent. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer. Add the flour to create a roux.
- Add the chicken stock to deglaze the pan and stir in the heavy cream. Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Crush the canned tomatoes by hand and add to the pot, using all of the liquid. Turn the heat back up to medium-high. Add in the beer, green chiles, cumin, coriander, cayenne, chili powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Once chili has come to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Add the chicken back in and cover. Simmer for one hour.
- After one hour, turn off flame and taste; adjust the seasonings, if needed, with salt and pepper.
- Garnish wish chopped scallions, pickled jalapenos, shredded cheddar-jack cheese, and corn chips.