Here are the ingredients & the instructions to make the perfect burger! Although it may not be the healthiest, use medium ground beef for moistness & flavour. The leaner varieties produce burgers that are drier with a denser, tighter texture. Don't use previously frozen meat as juices are lost during defrosting. If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate for no more than a day. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mustard (regular or Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb medium ground beef
FLAVOUR PERK STIR-INS
- 1 tablespoon creamy caesar salad dressing or 1 tablespoon Greek salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind or 1 tablespoon lime rind
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce or 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 fresh jalapenos or 1 pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Lightly oil grill& heat BBQ to medium.
- Whisk egg in a bowl& add next 6 ingredients.
- Add any of the stir-ins that appeal to you.
- Crumble in beef& using your hands or a fork, gently mix together.
- Handle the meat as little as possible the more you work it, the tougher it gets.
- Gently shape (dont firmly press) mixture into burgers about ¾ inch thick.
- Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the centre of each burger to prevent puffing up during cooking.
- Place burgers on the grill, close lid& BBQ until NO LONGER PINK INSIDE, turning once, about 6 8 minutes per side.
- An instant read thermometer should read 160F.
- Don't abuse your burgers by pressing with a spatula, pricking with a fork or turning frequently as precious juices will be lost!
- Tuck into a warm crusty bun& add your favourite toppings.
Delish! Even without worsch. sauce (I was out). I used dijon, 2 shallots instead of the small onion, and added a teaspoon of oregano. My husband and I both loved it. I had never used an egg before when making burgers, what a nice recipe! Very versatile.
Pretty darn good! Really basic, great base... just as written it is really flavorful. I agree that using a medium % beef was the ticket. I used a 93% for the first round, they just didn't taste the same.
Very good burger! We just did the burger, no mix ins just to see how we liked it and it was fantastic! We will be making again and trying some of the mix ins. Thanks for sharing.