Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here are the ingredients & the instructions to make the perfect burger! Although it may not be the healthiest, use medium ground beef for moistness & flavour. The leaner varieties produce burgers that are drier with a denser, tighter texture. Don't use previously frozen meat as juices are lost during defrosting. If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate for no more than a day. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mustard (regular or Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb medium ground beef
FLAVOUR PERK STIR-INS
- 1 tablespoon creamy caesar salad dressing or 1 tablespoon Greek salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind or 1 tablespoon lime rind
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce or 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 fresh jalapenos or 1 pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Lightly oil grill& heat BBQ to medium.
- Whisk egg in a bowl& add next 6 ingredients.
- Add any of the stir-ins that appeal to you.
- Crumble in beef& using your hands or a fork, gently mix together.
- Handle the meat as little as possible the more you work it, the tougher it gets.
- Gently shape (dont firmly press) mixture into burgers about ¾ inch thick.
- Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the centre of each burger to prevent puffing up during cooking.
- Place burgers on the grill, close lid& BBQ until NO LONGER PINK INSIDE, turning once, about 6 8 minutes per side.
- An instant read thermometer should read 160F.
- Don't abuse your burgers by pressing with a spatula, pricking with a fork or turning frequently as precious juices will be lost!
- Tuck into a warm crusty bun& add your favourite toppings.
I have no idea why the first review said they couldn't get this to stick together on the grill. Be gentle with the meat and leave it alone while it is on the grill. Don't pat, poke, or flip it more than once. I did this recipe as stated with no extra add ins. The result was simply burger heaven. This was the first time I attempted to prepare my own patties. I will never by the frozen junk again. This is too easy to make and adds a whole new definition of burger. This was the best burger I have ever had!
Very good burger! We just did the burger, no mix ins just to see how we liked it and it was fantastic! We will be making again and trying some of the mix ins. Thanks for sharing.
These were definately lovely and moist. I think leaving out the breadcrumbs is a great idea as is the cooking technique. The only other thing I added to the burger mix was about a tablespoon of tomato ketchup and a small handful of mixed herbs. Now I make my burgers the Aussie way and here's how it's done. First put a squeeze of tomato ketchup on the bottom of the toasted bun then followed by an iceberg lettuce leaf, a slice of tomato then place the burger (which should have a slice of melted cheese on that I place during the last minute of cooking), then I add some fried onions (never raw onions), a slice of bacon and topped with a fried egg and then the top bun. It's a mouthful but well worth the effort.