Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I think it’s perfect with fresh tortilla chips, but if you don’t have them, Tostitos makes a great all natural version that when heated in the oven briefly makes a great second choice.
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (cheddar is preferred, but Colby jack works too)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 green onions (chopped)
- Combine the black beans, tomato paste, lime juice, sour cream, cumin, cayenne pepper and two thirds of your chopped green onions in a sauce pot over medium heat.
- Use a potato masher to lightly mash the contents of the pot together.
- I prefer to leave some beans whole because it makes for a better looking end product.
- Stir your bean dip constantly as it begins to warm through and then add the cheese.
- The dip should be moist, warm, and aromatic.
- Move your dip to a nice serving dish and sprinkle over the remaining green onions and serve with warm tortilla chips.
Delicious! This quick and easy bean dip was a big hit at my Super Bowl party. I made this as written except that I used Mexican 4-cheese blend instead of the cheddar cheese. Also, I added a pinch of sugar to counter the tartness of the lime juice. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!