Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is a dessert that is everyone's favorite, For a decorative crust, use small cookie cutters to cut to decoative shapes from the top crust or the leftover pastry trimmings - leaves are so pretty to have on an apple pie!! For a finishing touch, brush the top of the crust with a lightly beaten egg white before baking for a shiny top, a whole egg for a golden brown top, or brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar for a sparkling top.
Top Review by keri69
I wanted a perfect apple pie for dear friends on easter sunday. This is it!! Flaky crust even without the trim. I did spread milk on the top lightly and then sugar. Perfect dish of apples tho I must have had smaller as it took 2 more for a nice full pie. Thank you so very much!!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 -7 tablespoons ice cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 large apples)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water, 1 tablespoons at a time, mixing lightly with fork until flour mixture is evenly moistened and clings together when pressed into a ball. Divide dough in half; shape each half into 1/2-inch thick round., Wrap each dough round in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss apples with sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice in a large bowl; set aside. Place 1 dough round between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap; roll out dough with rolling pin to flatten slightly, working from center of dough to the edge. Turn over ; continue rolling until dough round is about 2-inches larger than diameter of inverted pie plate.
- Peel off top piece of plastic wrap; invert dough into pie plate. Peel off remaining piece of plastic wrap; press dough evenly onto bottom and up side of pie plate being careful not to stretch the dough. Trim any dough hanging over edge of pie plate with sharp knife or kitchen scissors; reserve trimmings.
- Fill with apple mixture; set aside. Roll out remaining dough as directed; place over filling. Trim top crust about 1/2 -inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust; pinch edges together to form a ridge. Flute edge. Cut several slits near center of pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until juices form bubbles that burst slowly. Cool.