Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A California creation. My favorite greasy spoon diner meal.
Make and share this The Patty Melt recipe from Food.com.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet (cast-iron is preferred) over medium heat.
- Add in onions; cook/stir until caramelized, about 20 minutes; remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Lay rye bread on waxed paper on a baking sheet.
- Butter each slice of bread on the top side, dividing 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter among 8 slices; flip bread over and butter the other sides of the 8 slices, dividing 1 tablespoon of butter among them.
- Reheat skillet that cooked the onions over medium heat.
- Toast bread on both sides in the skillet until the bread is light gold, about 1 minute per side; set aside.
- Divide beef into 4 even amounts; shape each into an oval patty about ½ inch thick.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add to the same skillet you have been using over med-high heat; cook patties 2 ½ to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare doneness; remove from skillet and put sandwiches together.
- Lay out 4 slices of toasted bread; top with ¼ of the onion mixture, then a slice of cheese, a beef patty, and a second slice of cheese; top with remaining 4 toast slices.
- Melt in remaining 1 tablespoons butter in skillet; toast sandwiches on both sides, about 1 minute per side, until bread is toasty brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.