1 hr 30 mins
Chef SuzyQ's Note:
This is a FABULOUS recipe by The Pastry Queen, Rebecca Rather, from her cookbook "The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes from the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Cafe." She says she can never make enough of these wonderful pot pies to satisfy her loyal customers. After trying this recipe, I can certainly see why. PURE comfort food here! When fall comes, this is what you'll be craving. I usually take two days to put these together--stewing the chicken and sauteeing the vegetables on the first day; making the cream sauce and the crust the second day. Do not be intimidated by the crust! It's just a top crust and hangs over the side of the dish in a rustic, country fashion. Very, very easy to roll out and work with. Also, don't buy any special oven proof bowls for this recipe--I always make it in two 9" pie plates and it fills them nicely. I add about 10 minutes to the bake time, but watch carefully so they don't burn. This recipe is super flexible; feel free to add in your favorite vegetables. I always add carrots to mine--I love the sweetness they add--a perfect contrast to the savory flavor of the pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 purchased cooked rotisserie chicken or 1 whole stewed chicken, cooled
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- salt and fresh ground white pepper
- 1To make the filling:.
- 2Melt the butter in a large sauté pan set over medium heat. Add the onion and potato; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms and sauté about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the crushed red pepper and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3While the vegetables are sauteing, skin the chicken, pull the meat off the bones and shred the meat or cut into bite-size pieces. Place the green beans in a microwave-safe bowl and add enough water to cover. Cover the dish and microwave on high power about 10 minutes, until the beans are tender. Drain thoroughly. Stir the beans, peas and chicken into the vegetable mixture. Set the filling aside.
- 4To make the cream sauce:.
- 5Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the chicken stock and cook the sauce over medium heat until it thickens to the consistency of a cream soup. Add the cream, hot pepper sauce, and salt and white pepper to taste. Pour the cream sauce over the chicken filling and stir to combine. Fill individual 1’/4-cup capacity oven-safe bowls three - quarters of the way to the top with the creamed chicken filling.
- 6To make the crust:.
- 7Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the butter into 16 pieces. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the butter and flour until crumbly. Add the cream cheese, salt, and white pepper. Continue pulsing just until the dough forms a ball.
- 8Set the dough on a flat surface dusted with flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Measure the diameter of the pot pie bowls—mine are about 4 inches across—and cut out dough rounds that are 1 1/2 inches larger in diameter. Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Lay the dough rounds on top of the pot pies, making sure the dough hangs evenly over each bowl. Brush the dough lightly with the beaten egg. Bake the pies for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Pastry Queen's All Sold out Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1198.5
- Calories from Fat 742
- Total Fat 82.4 g
- Saturated Fat 45.9 g
- Cholesterol 280.0 mg
- Sodium 764.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 32.3 g