Recipe by Sharlene~W
From the Palm Restaurant Cookbook. A medly of greens, roasted red bell peppers and tomatoes. I loved it with a mix of Blue Cheese and Vinaigrette. Try The Palm Restaurant Basic Vinaigrette, The Palm Restaurant Blue Cheese Dressing or a Thousand Island dressing. I posted this recipe in response to a request, but it sounded so interesting I had to try it myself. It is a wonderful salad. Don't be afraid of the anchovies. Chop them up and mix them in!
Top Review by Norse-chef
This is fabulous! Thank you so much Sharlene! This salad has a wonderful "pico de gallo" salsa- like consistency. I cheat a little by buying jarred roasted red peppers/pimentos instead of roasting them myself. For those who may think this salad is strange, don't, you will be pleasantly delighted!!! Cheers-N. Chef
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted, cored, seeded, and peeled (directions below, OR skip the work and use bottled roasted red peppers!!!)
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed with the side of a large, heavy knife
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb mixed greens (iceberg, red leaf, salad bowl, butter, and or or romaine)
- 2 small radishes, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 3 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, cored and chopped, including seeds and juices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 16 anchovies packed in oil, fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup vinaigrette (Palm's Basic Vinaigrette)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 250°F In a roasting pan, toss the peppers with the garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; then roast for about 2 hours, until completely tender. Remove from the oven, cover the pan tightly with foil, and let stand for 20 minutes. Peel the peppers (try to remove all the skin, but don't worry if a little remains). Cut into quarters lengthwise, and set aside. Discard the garlic.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the greens in a salad spinner or with clean kitchen towels (if they are wet, the dressing won't adhere).
- Chop the greens coarsely and toss in a large bowl with the radishes, tomatoes, salt, anchovies, and onion.
- Coarsely chop the roasted peppers and add them to the bowl, tossing gently.
- Add a generous amount of vinaigrette, and toss again until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to chilled salad plates, spreading the salad fairly flat. Sprinkle with the blue cheese, if desired, and serve at once.