Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Most accomplished cooks have their own cabbage roll filling recipe -- this is just a recipe for an especially good sauce to complement your own cabbage rolls. It is tomato-based and the dill really comes through. My wonderful mother-in-law gave me the original recipe and I tweaked it with the wine. It will easily provide enough sauce for 12-15 big cabbage rolls. I love this sauce!
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup merlot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sautee the onion in the olive oil in a thick-bottomed pot until tender. Do not drain.
- Add all other ingredients, cover the pot, and simmer for an hour or so, stirring frequently.
- NOTE: Sometimes, I use 2 large chopped onions instead of just one.
I made this tonight to go over stuffed bell peppers it work wonderfully great sauce thank you