Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the original recipe for Irmic Halva. In Turkey, it is the desert of choice when it comes to any large get-together because of it's simplicity. For a creamier version, substitute milk for water. Personally, I find the milk version too heavy. The serving size really depends on how much you want. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups farina (The powder form, It should resemble fine cracked wheat or Bulgur)
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- Melt the butter over a medium flame.
- Once the butter begins to bubble, pour in the farina and toast to a light golden brown.
- Add the sugar and mix thouroughly. Dont take too long, the more toasted the farina is, the more crumbly it will be.
- Add the water and let it boil out. (Keep an eye on it because it will burn quickly if the water runs out).
- Let it cool and enjoy!