1/1 Photo of The Original Schnitzelwich
At Tábor, pork schnitzel is served on rolls to create one of Portland, Oregon's most satisfying street-food sandwiches. From Bon Appetit. A great pork sandwich
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless pork chops (about 12 ounces total)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 6 tablespoons eggplants or 6 tablespoons pepper, spread ajvar*
- 4 ciabatta rolls or 4 other crusty rolls, halved horizontally
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, torn in half crosswise
- serve with a roasted pepper and eggplant spread, available at Middle Eastern markets
- 1Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, sour cream, and horseradish in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to soften and brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl. DO AHEAD Horseradish sauce and caramelized onion can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- 3Place rack on rimmed baking sheet. Place pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, spacing apart. Using flat side of meat tenderizer or mallet, pound to thickness of 1/4 inch. Place flour in 1 shallow bowl. Beat eggs in another shallow bowl. Place panko in third shallow bowl. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Working with 1 pork chop at a time, dredge both sides in flour, shaking off excess; dip in eggs to coat. Transfer to panko and press to coat pork all over. Place on prepared rack. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork to skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adding more oil by tablespoonfuls if needed. Transfer pork to paper towels.
- 5Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons ajvar onto each roll bottom; top each with 2 tablespoons caramelized onion. Place pork atop onion, then top with lettuce. Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon horseradish sauce onto cut side of each roll top. Place roll tops on sandwiches and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Original Schnitzelwich
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.9
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 220.0 mg
- Sodium 354.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 49.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: