This is the recipe for the original rice krispies treats squares...It never fails! Plus, it is a great way to use up a box of cereal! For best results, use fresh marshmallows. I have replaced the butter once with Mott's Healthy Baking butter or oil substitute (it was basically an unsweetened apple sauce) and they still turned out great!
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- (It would be perfect to be measuring out all of the cereal at this time, having it ready in a large bowl.).
- Working quickly, add rice krispies cereal, and stir until the cereal is well coated.
- Using a buttered spatula or waxed paper, press the mixture evenly into a greased 13 by 9 by 2 inch pan (or whatever pan you have on hand).
- When the treats are cooled, cut into squares.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Thanks for posting this great recipe. I also bought Rrice Krispies with no recipe on the box. You'd think I'd remember how after making this tons of times in the past 60 years, but, of course, I didn't. Anyway - yummy and as usual I had to eat the first one while it was still gooey and falling apart. They set up if you can wait awhile. Great for kids and not so young kids.
Yum yum!! Delicious, classic recipe! I switched it up a bit and threw in a teaspoon of vanilla and a drop or two of almond extract and a tiny bit of maple flavoring - delicious!!
I had forgotten how much of a pain in the arse Rice Krispie treats really are. Haha. Plus, my marshmallows were ancient, so they didn't melt well. (Read the description, chefs!) However, I am pretty sure this is the original recipe, and the kids say they taste fine. I thought the recipe I used to make had vanilla in it, but it was Betty Crocker rather than back-of-the-box. So despite the rice krispies all over the kitchen and the sticky pan, thank you for posting.