This is the recipe for the original rice krispies treats squares...It never fails! Plus, it is a great way to use up a box of cereal! For best results, use fresh marshmallows. I have replaced the butter once with Mott's Healthy Baking butter or oil substitute (it was basically an unsweetened apple sauce) and they still turned out great!
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- (It would be perfect to be measuring out all of the cereal at this time, having it ready in a large bowl.).
- Working quickly, add rice krispies cereal, and stir until the cereal is well coated.
- Using a buttered spatula or waxed paper, press the mixture evenly into a greased 13 by 9 by 2 inch pan (or whatever pan you have on hand).
- When the treats are cooled, cut into squares.
- Serve, and enjoy!