Recipe by xpnsve
Found this online while searching for TOPH recipes. Fabulous recipe from The Original Pancake House! The Apple Pancake contains eggs, flour, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, butter and lots of apples. It takes about 30 minutes to bake in an iron skillet and is served all puffed up and steaming hot. The Apple Pancake really isn’t much like a pancake at all. It’s more a like a soufflé or really, really moist bread pudding. The only way to truly appreciate it is to try one yourself.
Top Review by 4mytwogirls
Ok. So #2 said to mix in the remaining cinnamon. I reread the recipe and no where have I even used part of the cinnamon so I'm a little confused. Also the recipe to say to put the apple mixture. Again, no where in the recipe does it say to mix the apples with anything. After reading the reviews, someone said to mix the apples with the cinnamon mixture first. The amount of brown sugar mixture is more than I would want to put on the pancake so I added half to it just to cover it. The apple pancake at the Pancake House is thinner and mine looks nice, but it's thicker. I think next time I'll use a larger pan rather than a pie plate. Chef #180 commented on adding nutmeg and a glaze. How much nutmeg and how do you make the glaze? It came out good but it could use some sort of sauce and next time I'll have to put the apples on the bottom and top so there's more of it. Did not need all the sugar mixture the recipe stated.
- 73.94 ml butter
- 2 granny smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced thin)
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 1.23 ml pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, milk, vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and remaining cinnamon.
- Add butter to a 10 inch Pyrex pie deep dish and put in the oven (deep dish Pyrex is great) At 400 degrees.
- When the butter is completely melted remove from oven.
- Pour the batter into the Pyrex dish and put back in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The edges will begin to puff.
- Remove the half-way cooked batter from the oven and now add the apple mixture to it.
- Just simply place the apples all over the top of the batter.
- Next, cover the entire service with the brown sugar/sugar/cinnamon blend and put it back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes.