Recipe by Chef Shadows
SOURCE THE FRUGAL GOURMET . According to Jeff Smith ( The Frugal Gourmet) this is the way these wings were orginally prepared in Buffalo. This recipe also includes the famous dipping sauce.
Top Review by Todd J.
This has got to be the best blue cheese for wings recipe! I've made this for other people and they insist it's far better than any off the shelf blue cheese dressing. Great recipe!
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fine chopped yellow onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled into fine pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
For the Wings
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 50 pieces chicken wings (either center or upper portion or both)
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- celery rib (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the wine vinegar with the milk, and allow the milk to curdle.
- Add the yellow onion, garlic, parsley, mayonnaise, blue cheese, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate before serving.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over low heat, and stir in the hot sauce.
- Add more or less to taste.
- Deep fry the wing pieces in small batches in peanut oil at 385f for about 10 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels ( if you wish to avoid the fat, bake the wings in a 400f oven for 25 minutes).
- When all the wings have been fried, reheat the skillet containing the hot sauce, and toss the wings about in the sauce.
- Serve with the dressing for a dip and celery sticks on the side.