Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
You may use rice in place of the pearl barley.
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
WHITE STOCK (use 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs veal bones (or 1 1/2 lbs both veal and chickens) or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken bones (or 1 1/2 lbs both veal and chickens)
- 4 1⁄2 quarts cold water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small carrot
- 2 turnips
- 2 leeks
- 1 onion, stuck with
- 2 whole cloves
- bouquet garni
- Rinse barley and put into a deep saucepan with 1 cup water. Scald and drain.
- Add white stock to the barley, cover, and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove 1/3 of the soup to another saucepan. Rub remainder through a fine sieve or put into a blender. Pour into the unsieved soup. Add 1 cup heavy cream gradually, stirring constantly. Salt to taste. Makes 6 servings.
- FOR THE STOCK: Parboil bones just long enough for scum to rise to the top. Skim thoroughly and drain. Cover the bones again with 4 1/2 quarts cold water, and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and cook slowly for 2 hours. Strain and cool. Remove any fat that has risen to the top and refrigerate. Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
- BOUQUET GARNI: A collection of herbs (traditionally fresh parsley, fresh/dried thyme and bay leaf) that are bundled together or placed in a cheesecloth bag and added to the pot to flavor a soup, stew, or broth. They are tied/bagged together so they can be removed easily at the end of the cooking.
- Royal Cookbook Favorite Court Recipes from The World’s Royal Families.