1/2 Photos of The Only Curry Recipe You'll Ever Need!
I was given this curry recipe years ago by a local Indian family. It is so adaptable and so delicious that I make it all the time with whatever ingredients I have. In the ingredients I have specified beef (due to the inflexibility of RecipeZaar!) but you can use beef, lamb or chicken, chickpeas or vegetables or any combination of these. Casserole beef cooks beautifully, it takes about an hour. Chicken with coconut cream is also lovely. Often we have it as a vegetarian/vegan curry with chickpeas and vegetables. Serve with rice, yoghurt and naan bread if you like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg beef, chopped into suitably sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped (medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 large tomatoes (chopped) or 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 red chilies (optional) or 3 green chilies (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can coconut milk (optional) or 1 (8 ounce) can coconut cream (optional)
Mix together spice mixture
- 1In a large pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Cook, with the lid on, while the mustard seeds pop.
- 2Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook on medium heat, uncovered, until softened.
- 3Add the mixed spices and the lemon juice, cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- 4Add 250ml water or half the coconut milk, tomatoes and chilli powder if using.
- 5Add the meat and/or vegetables etc and stir to coat with sauce.
- 6Add another 250ml water or the remaining coconut cream.
- 7Stir, bring to the boil and simmer gently, uncovered, until cooked. The cooking time will vary depending on the cut of meat or type of vegetables used.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Only Curry Recipe You'll Ever Need!
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.3
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 144.8 mg
- Sodium 738.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 58.4 g