Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Food Network's Good Eats: Zen and the Art of Omelet. I remember Alton saying that besides a decent pan, a good silicon spatula was ideal for omelet making. Substitute another favorite fresh herb if you wish;-French tarragon, parsley, chervil, etc. My husband swears by this recipe. Makes one omelet, but there is plenty for two people to share. Here it is, virtually verbatim:
- 3 eggs, unshelled, warmed in hot water for 5 minutes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon room temperature butter, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter (for finishing omelet)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- Crack warm eggs into bowl, add salt, and blend with fork.
- Heat a 10-inch non-stick aluminum pan over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot add butter and brush around surface of pan using a pastry brush.
- Pour the eggs into center of pan and stir vigorously with spatula for 5 seconds. As soon as a semi-solid mass begins to form, lift pan and move around until the excess liquid pours off into pan.
- Using your spatula move around the edge of the egg mixture to help shape into a circle and to loosen edge. Let omelet sit in pan for 10 seconds *without* touching.
- Shake pan to loosen the omelet from the pan. Lift up the far edge of one side of the omelete and snap it back toward you. Using your spatula, fold over 1/3 of the omelet. Slide omelet onto plate and fold both edges of the omelet in so they meet in the center.
- Coat with remaining butter and sprinkle with fresh herb(s) of choice if desired. Serve immediately.
Five stars for this technique. Wow-- I had never used a hot enough pan, and didn't know that you were supposed to stir the eggs when you first poured them in. My omelets turned out beautifully. I made one with three eggs, and one with two. As per Omelet Recipe 168129, I added a bit of chicken broth to the beaten eggs, and filled the finished omelets with dollops of ricotta and some sauteed veggies. Delicious.
I have never made an omlette before so this was the perfect recipe for me, it was easy to follow! And the results were delicious!!!! I use to think omlettes were hard to make, boy was I wrong! I will be making this again... Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 5
Wow this was good and so easy too! Added Parmesan and Gruyere cheese. Made for ZWT5 French Omelet Challenge.