Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is directly from The Olive Gardens Website: www.theolivegarden.com. This is not any Knock off! You are making the REAL DEAL.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green olives with pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup small caper, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 29 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 fresh sweet basil leaves, chopped
- HEAT olive oil in a small sauce pot; add garlic and sauté for one minute (do not brown). Add bell peppers and sauté until al dente. Add olives and capers and stir. Add red wine and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients except basil.
- BRING to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Add basil to sauce and stir well; remove Siena sauce from heat.
- SERVE over your favorite pasta.
- GARNISH with chopped basil, if desired.
This is very good! I was adventurous, using olives and capers, coming out of my comfort zone! And glad that I did, this is a rich and complex sauce, not at all your every day tomato sauce! And yet so easy to prepare, combine everything, let it cook! I prepared this on a Saturday afternoon and loved the rich aroma in my kitchen, and after cooling (and tasting) I've popped it in the fridge to enjoy later this week! Thanks for sharing an excellent recipe, Wendy!