Recipe by ChefRed
by Margaux Sky. It's Oprah Winfreys favorite sandwich in America. Can also use spicy white pepper jack bread instead of challah bread.
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 lbs medium chicken tenders
- 1⁄2 cup spicy brown mustard, plus
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- butter, for spreading
- 1 loaf challah or 1 loaf other rich egg bread, cut into 12 thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5 ounces mesclun
- red grapes (to garnish)
- assorted berries (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- n a large saucepan over high heat, add peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, lemon and 14 cups water; cover and bring to a boil. Add chicken and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through; drain. Once cool, quarter each tender crosswise.
- In a large bowl, combine mustard, honey, curry powder, lemon pepper and salt; stir in chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- Butter both sides of bread slices. In a heated nonstick skillet over medium-high flame, cook bread in batches 3 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Combine carrots and almonds with chicken mixture. Divide chicken curry among 6 bread slices. Top with tomatoes, mesclun and remaining bread slices. Serve with fruit.