Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "The North End Italian Cookbook". This is a light, delicate sauce, a little pink in color. Perfect for adding sliced black olives, clams, mushrooms or crab. Use your imagination. This is a slightly spicy sauce due to the red pepper flakes. Good over cooked thin spaghetti or linguini. This sauce can be frozen which makes it perfect for OAMC. ***NOTE*** This may be a classic Italian recipe, but we like it better with only 1/4 cup of oil and two 28 oz. cans of tomatoes, adding in a pound of cooked ground chuck served over penne. You won't taste the mint, but it does add something special.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes or 28 ounces plum tomatoes, with juice or 12 fresh tomatoes, peeled
- salt and pepper, plus
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, more of the above seasonings
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large heavy skillet, on low heat, very slowly heat the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, basil and mint.
- Let cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is golden brown.
- If you are using the plum or fresh tomatoes, crush them in your hands or put them in a blender for 1-2 seconds (this will speed up the cooking process and give a smoother consistency to the sauce).
- Raise the heat to medium high.
- When oil is really hot, carefully add the tomatoes.
- Let the sauce come to a soft boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a pinch more of red pepper, basil and mint.
- Add the chopped parsley.
- Let sauce simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.